copyright © Wartime Heritage Association 2012-2024 Website hosting courtesy of - a company
Wartime Heritage ASSOCIATION
Remembering World War I Yarmouth Connections
Return To Links
John McIntosh Millar
John McIntosh Millar 222482 (at enlistment) Lieutenant Colonel 85th Battalion May 19, 1883 Lunenburg, Nova Scotia October 20, 1915 Halifax, NS Amherst, NS 32 5 feet, 9½ inches Light Grey Light Brown Single/Widower Civil Engineer Presbyterian J. Ross Millar (Brother) Amherst, NS June 10, 1919 (at Ottawa on demobilization) May 22, 1931 (death aged 48 in Halifax, NS)( Mountain Cemetery, Yarmouth NS. Lieutenant Colonel was the son of Rev. Ebenezar Daniel Millar (1844-1909) and Margaret Ellen (Morse) Millar (1845-1905). He was the husband of Aleta May Millar (1885-1910) having married at Halifax, NS on March 31, 1907. His wife died on June 26, 1910 at Saint John, NB. He was the brother of Dr. J. Ross Millar. The family was living in Yarmouth, NS in 1901. John McIntosh Millar enlisted with the 85th Battalion at Halifax, NS on October 20, 1915 with the Rank of Private (service No. 222482). On November 1, 1915 he was promoted to the rank of Sergeant. He was appointed to an Officer’s Commission as Lieutenant at Halifax on February 23, 1916. He proceeded overseas, embarking Halifax on October 12, 1916, sailing on the SS Olympic, and disembarking at Liverpool, England on October 19, 1916. He proceeded to France on February 10, 1917, disembarking at Boulogne for service with the 85th Battalion. In March of 1917 he was appointed Acting Major while commanding a Company in the field. During this time he was Mentioned in Despatches (London Gazette 30448 December 28, 1917). He returned to England in January, 1918 for instructional duty and returned to France with the 85th Battalion on May 25, 1918. He was awarded the Military Cross for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He made a reconnaissance of the front immediately after a counter-attack when another attack was anticipated. He went through a barrage to organize the right flank and brought back valuable information. (London Gazette 30507; February 4, 1918) On September 30, 1918 he was wounded at Cambrai. On November 21, 1918, he returned to the United Kingdom for senior officers courses at Aldershot and granted leave. He again served in France from March 29, 1919 to May 4, 1919. Again proceeding to England he was appointed temporary Lieutenant Colonel on May 5 serving with the Nova Scotia Regiment. He returned to Canada, sailing from Liverpool on May 31, 1919 and was discharged on demobilization on June 10, 1919. Lieutenant Colonel was also awarded the following: Bar to the Military Cross (February 1, 1919) Distinguished Service Order (April 2, 1919) Mentioned in Despatches (July 11, 1919) On demobilization he returned to Amherst, NS. He died on May 22, 1931 at the age of 48 and was buried in the Mountain Cemetery, Yarmouth NS.
Name: Service No Rank Battalion/Service Date of Birth: Place of Birth: Date of Enlistment: Place of Enlistment: Address at Enlistment: Age at Enlistment: Height: Complexion: Eye Colour: Hair Colour: Martial Status: Trade: Religion: Next of Kin: Date of Discharge: Date of Death: Cemetery:
photo: Wartime Heritage August 2019