copyright © Wartime Heritage Association 2012-2024 Website hosting courtesy of - a company
Wartime Heritage ASSOCIATION
Remembering World War I Yarmouth Connections
Return To Links
Walter John Doucette
Name: Service No Rank Battalion/Service Date of Birth: Place of Birth: Date of Enlistment: Place of Enlistment: Address at Enlistment: Age at Enlistment: Height: Complexion: Hair Colour: Eye Colour: Martial Status: Religion: Trade: Next of Kin at Enlistment: Next of Kin effective August 1, 1918: Discharged: Date of Death:
Walter John Doucette 415564 Private 40th Battalion / 13th Battalion January 6, 1895 Quinan, Yarmouth Co., NS May 4, 1915 Yarmouth NS Quinan, Yarmouth Co., NS 20 5 feet, 6 inches fresh dark grey Single Roman Catholic Farmer Eli C Doucette (Father), Quinan, Yarmouth Co., NS Gladys Alma (Godfrey) Doucette (Wife), 10 Stratford Terrace, Bolton Rd., Small Heath, Birmingham, England April 22, 1919 (St. John, NB) May 12, 1986 (aged 91) In In the fall of 1914, Walter Doucette, his cousin Mande Doucette, and John Doucette retuned to Canada for the winter months after working in the United States. In April of 1915, it was their intention to return to work in the United States. When Walter arrived at the Yarmouth-Boston steamer wharf in Yarmouth he were turned back, being told that Canada needed its young men for the war effort. Walter walked to the recruiting office on Main St., Yarmouth and enlisted. His medical was completed on April 22, 1915 and he officially enlisted on May 4, 1915 with the 40th Battalion at Yarmouth. He was twenty years of age. Training was carried on in Canada between May and October of 1915. On October 18, he embarked Montreal on the SS Missanabie disembarking in England on October 25, 1915 At Shorncliffe, Walter was taken on strength with the 17th Reserve Battalion on November 3, 1915 awaiting assignment to a battalion in France; however, he paraded sick on November 15, 1915 at East Sandling with a cough and cold and was taken to the Military Base Hospital and then to Shorncliffe Military Hospital. He returned to duty but was again hospitalized with influenza on December 24, 1915 and discharged on January 10, 1916. He was to have embarked on February 3, 1916 for France to serve with the 25th Battalion; however, did not go to France and was again taken on strength with the 17th Reserve Battalion at East Sandling and transferred to the 13th Battalion on February 29, 1916. He then went overseas to France disembarking at Havre on March 2, 1916 and joined his unit in in the field on March 14, 1916. On October 9, 1916, Walter suffered a gunshot wound to the back and left shoulder. He was taken to No. 2 Australian General Hospital at Boulogne and transferred to England to the New End Military Hospital at Hampstead on October 15, 1916 and then to the convalescent Hospital at Bromley. Having recovered he was returned to the 13th Battalion in France on May 14, 1917. On August 15, 1917 Walter was again wounded in the field. Having suffered a gun shot wound to the left leg he was invalided to England on August 20, 1917 and hospitalized at No. 2 Birmingham War Hospital and to the Military Convalescent Hospital at Epsom on October 2, 1917 where he remained until Decembe 14, 1917. He was then assigned to the 20th Reserve Battalion at Bramshott. While in Birmingham he met Gladys Alma Godfrey and while serving in the 20th Reserve Battalion obtained permission to marry. They were married in Aston, Warwickshire, England. Walter did not return to France. While in England he applied to be assigned as a Signaller on November 7, 1918. With the war coming to and end, he was attached to the Canadian Depot at Buxton for return to Canada on March 21, 1919. He returned to Canada on April 11, 1919 and was discharged on April 22, 1919 at St. John, New Brunswick. Gladys joined him and the couple remained in Canada for several months before returning to England. They again returned to Canada on May 24, 1924 arriving at Quebec City via New York from England. Walter worked with Canada Customs in Winnipeg. In 1938 they returned to England where Gladys died in December 1943. Walter wanted to return home but was unable to take his savings out of the county because of the war. He remained in England and on October 7, 1944 married Agnes Parry in Birmingham. In the 1960’s following the death of his second wife, Walter returned to Canada after forty-four years. On August 5, 1969 Walter married Frances Muise of Yarmouth. He died on May 12, 1986 at the age of 91.
Library and Archives Canada Information and photo: courtesy of Phyllis Pothier
SS Missanabie