copyright © Wartime Heritage Association 2012-2024 Website hosting courtesy of - a company
Wartime Heritage ASSOCIATION
Remembering World War I Yarmouth Connections
1st Siege Bty.,Canadian Garrison Artillery Saturday, August 12, 1916 Entry: Another Aeroplane shoot on hostile battery very successful. Gnrs. McDonald,W. and Gavel,K.K. wounded. Notes: wounded 12/08/1916 :- Gnr. William McDonald,302233,1st Siege Bty.,CGA. b.21/09/1875 in Aberdeen,Scotland. Gnr. Kenneth Kirk Gavel,91897,1st Siege Bty.,CGA. b.09/10/1891 in Yarmouth,N.S.
Kenneth Kirk Gavel
Return to  Those Who Served
Name: Service No Rank Battalion/Service Date of Birth: Place of Birth: Date of Enlistment: Place of Enlistment: Address at Enlistment: Age at Enlistment: Height: Complexion: Eye Colour: Hair Colour: Martial Status: Trade: Religion: Next of Kin: Date of Discharge: Date of Death: Cemetery:
Kenneth Kirk Gavel 91897 Gunner 1st Canadian Siege Battery, Canadian Field Artillery October 9, 1891 Yarmouth, Nova Scotia October 5, 1915 Halifax, Nova Scotia Yarmouth, Nova Scotia 24 6 feet Fresh Blue Brown Single Brick layer Baptist Fraser Gavel (Father) Yarmouth, Nova Scotia May 14, 1919 (Halifax) 1970 Mountain Cemetery, Yarmouth, Nova Scotia Kenneth Kirk Gavel was the son of George Fraser Gavel (1856-1940) and Ellen (Blauveldt) Gavel (1857-1919). His father was born in Tusket Lakes, Yarmouth Co., Nova Scotia. The family was living in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia in 1915. On March 10, 1921, Kenneth married Ella Maud Marsh. He enlisted on October 5, 1915 and was assigned to No.1 Heavy Battery Depot, at Halifax, NS. He went overseas to England on the SS Saxonia, disembarking there on November 30, 1915. He arrived in France on June 14, 1916 for service with 1st Canadian Siege Battery. On August 7, 1916, suffering from a wound to his right thigh at the Somme, he was taken to No. 1 Station Hospital at Rouen and transferred to England for treatment at 1st Southern Canadian Hospital at Stourbridge, until October 3, 1916. He was then transferred to the Westcliffe Canadian Ear and Eye Hospital at Folkestone, , until October 17, 1916 and to the Military Hospital at Shorncliffe. He was discharged for duty on January 5, 1917 and returned to France on October 18, 1917 where he served until April 1, 1919. Having served in Canada, England, France and Belgium, he returned to Canada on the SS Mauritania disembarking at Halifax on May 9, 1919. He was discharged on demobilization on May 14, 1919.
Mountain Cemetery, Yarmouth, NS
Source Library and Archives Canada findagrave Background Photo: Credit: Canada. Dept. of National Defence/Library and Archives Canada/