copyright © Wartime Heritage Association 2012-2024 Website hosting courtesy of - a company
Wartime Heritage ASSOCIATION
Remembering World War I Yarmouth Connections
Name: Service No: Rank: Service: Date of Birth: Place of Birth: Date of Enlistment: Place of Enlistment: Age at Enlistment: Address at Enlistment: Height: Complexion: Eyes: Hair: Martial Status: Trade: Religion: Next of Kin: Date of Discharge: Date of Death: Cemetery:
Lent Peter Hatfield
Return to  Those Who Served Return To Links
Lent Peter Hatfield 282584 Lance Corporal 219th Battalion, 85th Battalion September 21, 1894 Tusket, Yarmouth Co., NS March 18, 1916 Bridgewater, NS 21 Bridgewater, NS 5 feet, 7 inches Light Brown Brown Single Clerk Methodist Laura Hatfield (Mother) Tusket, NS June 15, 1919 1940 Unknown Lent Peter Hatfield was the son of Tracy Gorham Harding Hatfield (1865–1943) and Laura Bell (Hurlburt) Hatfield (1869-1952) of Tusket, Yarmouth Co., NS. He enlisted with the 219th Battalion in Bridgewater, NS and served with the 85th Battalion in France. He embarked Halifax on October 12, 1916 and disembarked in Liverpool, England on October 19, 1916. At Witley Camp in England he was taken on strength with the 85th Battalion. He arrived in France on March 17, 1917 and joined the Battalion in the field on March 19, 1917. On May 9, 1919 he returned to the United Kingdom and returned to Canada departing the United Kingdom on May 31, 1919. On July 4, 1921 Peter Hatfield married Jessie Noble Hartley at Arcadia, Yarmouth Co., NS. Jessie was born in Edinburgh, Scotland and came to Nova Scotia to be married. At the time of their marriage Peter was a storekeeper. Peter’s father, Tracy Gorham Hatfield, purchased the Hatfield General Store and operated it until 1919. He willed the store to his son Peter Lent Hatfield. Tracy Hatfield owned and operated another general store, known as the Central Store, in the center of Tusket village, which later became the property of his son, Elmer C. Hatfield. In 1919, with the takeover by Peter Lent Hatfield, the store shifted from general grocery items, to solely dry goods. The store was sold in 1952 and ceased operations in 1953.
Library and Archives Canada photo: courtesy of Tim Nickerson