copyright © Wartime Heritage Association 2012-2024 Website hosting courtesy of - a company
Wartime Heritage ASSOCIATION
Remembering World War I Yarmouth Connections
Name: Service No: Rank: Service: Date of Birth: Place of Birth: Date of Enlistment: Place of Enlistment: Address at Enlistment: Age at Enlistment: Height: Complexion: Eyes: Hair: Martial Status: Trade: Religion: Next of Kin: Date of Discharge: Date of Death: Age at Death: Cemetery: Grave:
Roy Ferguson Gavel
Return to  Those Who Served Return To Links
Roy Ferguson Gavel 282973 Private 219th Battalion; 85th Battalion December 23, 1890 Kelley’s Cove, Yarmouth Co., Nova Scotia March 16, 1916 Yarmouth, Nova Scotia Kelley’s Cove, Yarmouth Co., Nova Scotia 25 5 feet, 6 inches Light Blue Light Married Fisherman Baptist Mildred Estella Gavel June 24, 1919 (Halifax) July 30, 1988 97 Forest Lawn Memorial Park Normandy Section Roy Ferguson Gavel was the son of John Hardy Gavel (1851-1931) and Agnes E. (Hurlburt) Gavel (1860- 1918) and husband of Mildred Estella (Huskins) Gavel (b.1894). He was the brother of Frank Lee Gavel (1882-1966), Blanche Mary Gavel (1887–1944), George William Gavel (1888-1968), Fred Bragg Gavel (1892–1971), John [Jack] Noble Gavel (1893–1973), and Isabell Gavel (1896–1983). His brother George William Gavel also served during WWI (Service No. 282973). Roy enlisted with the 219th Battalion and trained in Halifax, Nova Scotia. He embarked Canada on October 12, 1916, sailing on the SS Oylmpic, and disembarked at Liverpool, England on October 18, 1916. In November 1916, Roy was admitted to hospital at Bramshott Military Hospital with pleurisy and discharged on recovery to the 17th Reserve Battalion at Bramshott on January 1, 1917. He proceeded overseas to France for service with the 85th Battalion, arriving in the field of action on June 29, 1917. On August 16, 1917 he suffered gas poisoning and was invalided to England on August 21, 1917. On January 4, 1918, he was transferred to the 17th Reserve Battalion. On March 27, 1918 he was awarded the good conduct badge. He was struck off strength to Canada on December 5, 1918, and taken on strength to No. 6 District Depot at Halifax and on December 14, 1918, was posted to the Casualty Company and discharged at Halifax on June 24, 1919. Post WWI, Roy moved to Vancouver, British Columbia. On September 5, 1931, Roy married Edith Kate Fowkes (1889-1975) in Vancouver, British Columbia. His son, by the second marriage, Clifford Ray Gavel served during WWII and was killed while in post-war service in 1947. Roy was the great uncle of Arthur Douglas Gavel who was also a WWII casualty. Following the death of Roy’s second wife in 1975, he married Lucy Leoara (Lake) Gavel (1915-2001) born in Moose Brook, Hants Co., Nova Scotia. During the First World War, Roy’s second wife, Edith Fowkes worked for the VAD (Voluntary Aid Detachment) of the BEF (British Expeditionary Force). She was born in Ibstock, Derbyshire, England, and emigrated to Canada in 1920. Her brother, Private Forester Albert Fowkes, (b. 1896) served with the Leicestershire Regiment and was killed in action at Ypres on September 27, 1917.