Wartime Heritage                                   ASSOCIATION
Return to Story Archive
Yarmouth and the War Years  Camp 60 Canadian Infantry Basic Training Centre                                                                                                          Barracks under construc tion 1940 Lt. Col. U.G. Dawson V.D. was appointed Commanding Officer on August 15th, 1940. Officers and N.C.O's and men on the permanent staff were recruited and appointed during August and September, 1940.  Permanent Camp staff totalled approximately 357 individuals.   The first group of trainees, 500 in number, arrived at Camp 60 in the late hours of October 9th, 1940.  Local trainees arrived earlier in the day.  Upon arrival at the Camp, the men were directed in groups of 20 to 25 to the officers commanding Companies A and B. The Quartermaster issued three blankets, one rubber ground sheet one plate, one pillow, one knife, one fork, and one spoon to each trainee. Platoon Officers assigned barracks and completed biographical data on each man. Each trainee had a medical examination. Military Cooks  (Camp 60) A Typical Day For the Recruit  6:00 am. - Bugler Call Trainees are up and on the go with early physical exercise, perhaps shoe and button polishing, followed by breakfast at 7:00 am The morning is spent on parade drill and at lectures.  Dinner is at 12:00 noon followed at 1:30 pm with an afternoon parade.   Training activity continued until 4:30 pm with supper at 5:00 pm. Evenings are for the trainee to spend as they wish at the Camp or in the community. First Recruits Finish Training The   first   group   completed   their   thirty   (30)   day training   period   under   the   National   Resources Mo bili zation Act and returned to civilian life. Camp 60 Course No 1 Picture PREPARE FOR NEXT Yarmouth,  Nov 7 - Five hundred twenty-one year old trainees from the camp left for homes in various sections of the province this morning following their thirty day training period.  The trainees left Yarmouth via special train and buses.  Early in 1941 the training period was extended to four months.  In the same year an Order-In Council was passed decreeing that all men called under the N.R.M.A. would remain in the Army. In 1942 No. 60 training Center was increased from a two-company to a four-company Training Center.   Camp 60 closed in the fall of 1945 having trained some 20,000 young men from across Canada in preparation for the battlefields of the European and Pacific campaigns.  Exhibition Building (Yarmouth) During   the   war   years   the   Yarmouth   Exhibition   building   was   leased   to   the   military.      It   was   located   on   the corner   of   Parade   St   and   Pleasant   St.      The   building   was   destroyed   by   fire.      Recruits   from   Camp   60   and personnel from East Camp assisted the local fire department in fighting the fire. The building was empty at the time of the fire.
 copyright © Wartime Heritage Association 2012.- 2017 Website hosting courtesy of Register.com - a web.com company
Yarmouth and the War Years 
Photos from Newspaper Clippings Camp 60  (CABTC Yarmouth Nova Scotia WWII)