Wartime Heritage                                   ASSOCIATION
Return to Story Archive
   SS Torondoc (Fort William, Ontario) May 20, 1942 The SS Torondoc was a Canadian Cargo ship, built in 1927 and owned by Paterson Steamships Ltd, Fort William, Ontario.  The ship  operated on the Great Lakes, carrying grain, coal and pulpwood until 1941. In 1941 the Canadian Government requisitioned the SS Torondoc for war service with the Canadian Merchant Navy. The ship was captained by François Xavier Daneau with a ship’s compliment of 22 crew, including the Captain. On May 20, 1942 the ship was moving unescorted sixty miles north west of Martinique with a cargo of bauxite on route from St. Thomas, Virgin Islands to Trinidad. At 7:53 am, a German U boat  (U-69) attacked the SS Torondoc and a single torpedo hit amidships. The crew took to four lifeboats and two rafts.  While the Germans questioned the survivors, there was no further trace of the crew.  All were lost.   Among the crew was one Nova Scotian: Joseph Cottreau Watchman Canadian Merchant Navy Age: 38 Joseph was the stepson of Mrs. Arthur Cottreau, of Canso, Nova Scotia. Commemorated on Page 117 of the Merchant Navy Book of Remembrance Displayed in the Memorial Chamber of the Peace Tower in Ottawa on March 10 and August 7 Listed on the Halifax Memorial - Panel 21 Sources: Commonwealth War Grave Commission Canadian Virtual War Memorial shipwreck.eu uboat.net    
 copyright © Wartime Heritage Association 2012.- 2017 Website hosting courtesy of Register.com - a web.com company
SS Torondoc (Fort William, Ontario) May 20, 1942
photo: courtesy of Harold Keeping at uboat.net