Return To Links
 copyright © Wartime Heritage Association 2012-2019                      Website hosting courtesy of - a company
Wartime Heritage                                   ASSOCIATION
Eddie Lorie Babin Service Number: N/A National Army: United States Rank: Corporal Date of Birth: December 19, 1895 Place of Birth: Belleville, Yarmouth Co., Nova Scotia US Registration Draft: June 5, 1917 Registration Card No.: 292 Location: Lynn, Mass. US Age at Registration: 21 Employment: General Electric, Lynn, Mass. US Martial Status: Single Date of Enlistment: May 27, 1918 Enlistment County: Lynn, Massachusetts, US Enlistment Division: National Army  Age at Enlistment: 23 Date of Discharge: May 26, 1919 Eddie Babin was the son of Louis F. and Rose Babin of Belleville, Yarmouth Co., NS and brother of Alcide, Eddie, Vincent, and Annie. He   left   Canada   to   work   in   the   United   States   and   was   employed   at   General   Electric   in   Lynn,   Massachusetts.   He   was   there   at   the   time of   the   National   Draft   and   he   registered   on   June   5,   1907.      Called   up   for   general   enlistment,   he   was   assigned   to   the   7   Company,   152nd   Depot Brigade   stationed   at   Camp   Upton,   located   in   Yaphank   on   Long   Island   in   Suffolk   County,   New   York.   The   role   of   the   Depot   Brigade   was   to receive   and   organize   recruits,   provide   them   with   uniforms,   equipment   and   initial   military   training.      Camp   Upton,   with   a   capacity   of   18,000 troops   was   one   of   three   transient   embarkation   camps   directly   under   the   control   of   the   New   York   Port   of   Embarkation   during   World   War   I.        Eddie remained at Camp Upton until June 19, 1918. He   was   then   assigned   to   5   Company,   1st   Repair   Shop   Unit   at   Camp   J   E   Johnson,   Florida   until   July   24,   1918.      The   Camp   was   a   major training   center   for   Army   quartermasters.      He   was   next   assigned   to   Butchery   Company   340   (Quartermaster   Detachment)   where   he   served until   November   21,   1918.      His   last   assignment   was   to   the   Quartermaster   Detachment   at   Beau   Desert   Hospital   Center,   France,   where   he served until his return to the United States and discharge from the military on May 26, 1919.  He now held the rank of Corporal. The    Beau    Desert    Hospital    Center    was    located    in    the    vicinity    of Bordeaux,   and   construction   was   begun   in   December   of   1917.      The   site, about   5   miles   west   from   Bordeaux   and   near   the   small   village   of   Pichey, was   a   nearly   level   tract   of   land   of   approximately   550   acres.      Originally   it was   planned   that   there   would   be   ten   base   hospital   units   at   this   center, each    of    one    thousand    beds,    with    an    emergency    expansion    to    fifteen hundred    beds,    but    during    the    summer    of    1918    the    construction    of    7 additional units was authorized. A   railroad   track   built   by   the   American   engineers,   which   connected with   the   P.   &   O.   Railway,   ran   through   the   center.   The   hospitals   were located   on   either   side   of   the   track,   thus   affording   rapid   de-training   and entraining   of   patients.   The   storehouses   and   laundry   were   also   situated   on this   line,   so   that   freight   could   easily   be   removed   from   cars   to   the   loading platform.      The   Quartermaster   Detachment   storehouses   and   laundry   were also   situation   on   this   line   so   that   freight   could   easily   be   removed   from cars to the loading platform. Construction   was   under   the   direction   of   the   United   States   Army Engineers. A   large   force   of   men   was   employed   for   this   work   and   during   the summer   of   1918   more   than   four   thousand      American   soldiers,   prisoners   of war,   Chinese,   and   other   labourers   were   at   work.         Nine   hospital   units   were eventually    completed,    in    addition    to    the    convalescent    camp,    steam laundry,   and   warehouses,   making   a   total   of   nearly   six   hundred   buildings. Twelve    miles    of    gravel    walk    and    eight    miles    of    board    walk    were constructed   and   4   miles   of   roads   and   over   11   miles   of   railroad   track   were built.   Shortly   after   the   Armistice   began,   the   Beau   Desert   Center   was changed into an evacuation center.   The   center   Quartermaster   Office   was   organized   July   22,   1918,   when   it   was   divided   into   the   following   departments,   each   under charge   of   an   officer   or   non-commissioned   officer:   subsistence,   finance,   clothing   and   miscellaneous   supplies,   fuel   procurement   and   issue, laundry, salvage and disposal of wastes, corral and stable, Quartermaster Corps detachment and labour troops.   While   serving   at   the   Beau   Center   Hospital   Center,   Corporal   Babin   was   involved   in   the   construction   of   the   hospital   complex,   a   story   he would   later   share   with   his   family.     As   a   boy   at   home   in   Nova   Scotia,   he   had   helped   his   father   who   was   a   contractor   and   thus   had   knowledge     of construction.  His ability to speak French was an asset when dealing with the local population. In the years following the war and his eventual return to Canada, Corporal Babin became a contractor in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. Sources: US draft and enlistment documents Hospital Center Beau Desert   Information provided by his daughter Joan (Babine) Semple.
Return to  Those Who Served
Camp Upton
Camp J E Johnston
Desert Hospital Center
Desert Hospital Center
Remembering World War I Yarmouth Connections
  Eddie Lorie Babin
Camp Joseph E. Johnson, Florida